eBay listing practice set Brian Howard

Chanter in D by Brian Howard
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=896231004


Corrected subject and message… Thanks Michael!


[ This Message was edited by: Tony on 2002-07-29 12:46 ]

I don’t think it’s in B… I think the “B” is for Brian…

:slight_smile:

Michael

  1. The chanter has been fitted with a synthetic reed by “Calmont” which performs well in both octaves. Requires less air and operating pressure. Sounds just like cane but more reliable.

…


Heh heh – “Sounds just like cane but more reliable.”
Now THAT would be a first.

I wonder why it’s priced at just 100 pounds min. reserve.
(Folks wanting to get into piping should be asking themselves this question as well)

It would be possible, since the plastic reed probably doesn’t play as well as claimed, that the highest bidder could send the chanter to Brian Howard to be reeded. I don’t know how much he charges for new reeds but it can’t be more than $100. You could have a working practice set for under $300 possibly. Also, I talked to Brian on the phone at the end of last year when I was looking to get a practice set, and he seemed very nice and helpful. Anyway, just a thought to you guys out there who have been pining to play the uilleann pipes.
God bless
Joseph

The set went for 280 pounds, ~$440US.

It sold for about what I would have expected, but it would have gone for less had one eager bidder in ‘true e-bay form’ not bid against himself/herself six times driving the price up from 162 to 275GBP

It always happens. It’s especially annoying if you’re the eventual winner.

Not an awful price for a practice set, if it works. That being the key condition. Having heard the calmont reed, however, that is doubtful.

Dionys