Piper's Choice practice set

Has anyone ever used or heard these http://piperschoice.com/products/bagpipes/smallpipes/uilleann-pipes/ if so what are they like?

Run away fast :slight_smile:

UP’s are a BELLOWS instrument and NOT mouth blown and the plastic reeds rarely if ever work

Go to a named, full time maker from the list on the NPU website here http://www.pipers.ie/makerlist.asp, it will cost more than this offering but it is the only way

Where are you based as there may be a Pipers club near to you and some have loan sets

John

I have one of those, they sound like a bad duck.
If you set it up with bellows and bag and make a cane reed it, it then sounds pretty good.

Tim

A student had bought one of the Piper’s Choice sets - with the bag and bellows. I loaned her a penny chanter to replace the plastic one. The bag neck was too short and required a length of tube to make it serviceable. Looks like they changed the bag design though. It was more of a highland style bag before.

I’m not sure what a cane reed would do to salvage one of these. The chanter/bore were made for that plastic reed. I tried a number of cane reeds in it to no avail.

I was surprised at the sound improvement with a cane reed.
It plays in tune and jumps to the second octave easily.
The chanter is quiet and would actually be great for someone trying to keep the volume down.

There are two types of that chanter, one is “blow molded” and the other is turned.

I had put it away for what I thought would be forever, then dug it out when I started making reeds.

I only purchased the chanter, I use my own bellows and bag.

Tim