FS practice set

it a practice set made in the UK, bag, bellows and chanter, the bag is kind of a plastic material and the chanter is nylon. it’s item GR2534 at hobgoblin music if you want to see a picture. barely used asking $250.

Umm.. Good luck.

Dionys

Also seen here:
http://www.bagpipe.co.uk/Uilleann_Practice_set.html

http://www.shannaquay.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$LRLVZEAAAAIVJTZENUFUTIWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=963379|1218782&PRID=1319854

Steve Power’s been trying to sell these things for about a year now too. Honestly, there should be a law. :roll: He does offer a practice set by Michael Vignoles for around $1,300 though that would probably work when you got it home.

“Ideal for beginning or second instrument for whistle players , flute players…”


:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Truth in advertising would have it read:
“Ideal for hours of frustration leading to the decision to take up the bodhran.”

Dionys

As useful as…
a hand-brake in a canoe…
a back pocket in a vest…
a choclate teapot…
a whistle on a plough…
:smiley:

Seriously, them yokes are shockin’. I know they’re cheap but for a few quid more you could get a David Daye penny practise set, they work great.
Tommy

tried one of these… :boggle: :confused: :astonished: I even bought a spare reed from them… :sniffle: It was good during the duck hunting season though :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

the set I’ve got is a bit different than that one, maybe a new design?

I spotted one at a garage sale and for laughs I bought it…not my idea of a good instrument. However, I do like the bag valve design and am actually using it in my L&M pipe bag right now. It looks to be chiefly constructed of an over-sized ‘Little-Mac’ rubber valve and a tapered plastic valve stock. Works great, and seems as though it will last longer than a leather valve.

The bellows (which I am not using), is butt ugly, but air tight and seemingly durable. The bag is synthetic and expands easier and further than leather, making it tougher to overblow the reeds…this, however, can be a bad thing to get used to.

I bought this thing on a whim, and it turns out that some of it can be used for spare parts. I wouldn’t pay the asking price for it new, but the rummage price of ten US dollars wasn’t too bad.

I’m not sure if these are the same set people seem to be talking about, mine works fine.

I can second that experience … at least a bit. Early this year I had been in Edinburgh at Bagpipe Galore and - just for fun - tried one of the sets available there. It was playing fine in the lower octave and maybe with some tweaks on the reed (plastic) the upper octave could be still improved.
Simple set but not automatically ready to be doomed for the rubbish … :wink:

I’d love to see a reputable maker attempt an impartial evaluation of such a beast.

Regards,

Harry.

There was a pretty substantial review in “The Pipers’ Review” a couple of issues back. Maybe Wally can post it to the IPC website?

No E

the one I’ve got is like that, it plays well in the lower octave but it takes some work to play the upper octave, either that or there’s something I’m not doing right with the reed.

I recall not being able to get the second octave working beyond the ‘e’ note. I have often thought about fitting the chanter with a cane reed to see how it might play…but as of yet, have not…hmmmmmm…I wonder…