In Praise of Paul McGrattan

A lot of top flute players get namechecked on the flute forum on a regular basis as being inspirational, and rightly so, but I’d like to doff my hat to Paul McGrattan. His solo work, stuff with Beginish, etc, is superb. I’d recommend ‘The Frost is All Over’ to anyone who loves the flute played well. And he’s a lovely fella, to boot.

His ‘Speed the Plough’ set was the first one I was able to sit and play along with all the way through when I was starting on the flute.

Anyone care to join me for a quick pat on his back?
m.d.

Early on my seminal influences were Cathal McConnell, Matt Molloy, Paul Roche, and later Conal O’Grada,
but when it came to actually playing the stuff, developing a sound, and looking for inspiration
I landed on Paul McGrattan - bought all of his recordings, learned every tune, and got a Hamilton flute.

Now, several years later, I don’t sound like McGrattan, but his influence (without ever having met the man)
still informs my playing and thinking about ITM.

Thanks, Paul.

Good call. I love Paul; he’s great. I still think his “Easter Snow” puts everyone else in the shade.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Reminds me I need more Pl McG in my library.

I played a session with him many moons ago in Dublin. what a mighty player and nice guy. Boy does he blast away!

here here and cap doffed! I too thought Paul’s first recording was top class. The fact that he is a nice guy is an added bonus. I’d definitely recommend his recordings if you haven’t got them already.

I also like his playing. His CD with Paul O’Shaughnessy is great.

Paul McGrattan is a tremendous player. His work with Beginish was also terrific. I’ve been wondering what he’s doing these days, since he doesn’t seem to have recorded much in the past several years. Does anyone know if he is playing these days?

ok, so does anyone know where i can get his cd? emusic doesn’t have it, neither does amazon or itunes. i checked celtic grooves and they don’t have it either. :frowning:

McGrattan CDs:
http://www.musicscotland.com/cd/paul-mcgrattan-frost-is-all-over.html
http://celticgrooves.homestead.com/CG_McGrattan_Paul_Keelwest.html

thanks; just ordered it from music scotland, along with some Marcas O Murchu cds. :slight_smile:

cheers,
eric

In the US, Ossian USA carries them. http://Www.ossianusa.com. They are a pretty good resource in general.

Best wishes

Steve

paul then and now.
loved his track on music at matt molloy’s , certainly rocked the house on that one.

Ugh, blackwood head on boxwood body!