Har, me hearties! Crew excavates Blackbeard's ship

Nearly three centuries ago, the notorious pirate Blackbeard ran aground in his ship, the Queen Anne’s Revenge, off what is now a North Carolina beach town.

This month, a crew of 13 heads out to sea each day, hoping for clear-enough weather to dive the 20 to 25 feet to the ocean bottom to excavate what they believe is Blackbeard’s ship.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/10/30/blackbeard.ship.reut/index.html

The team has found … a urethral syringe used to treat syphilis with mercury.

Pleasant.

Interesting. Makes me want to dig out my old jolly roger.

Similar syringes were used among the pioneering syphilitics of the Lewis & Clark Expedition. They were on display at the Oregon History Museum here in Portland along with a whole gaggle of other vintage trekker schwag this past year in celebration of the bicentennial.

Now I have a name for my band. Syphlitic Kiwano Cleveland and the Urethral Syringes

Arrr, thar’s nuthin’ worse to vex the codger
Than fill his nights with a dodgy roger.

R

The article is fascinating. Among all the facts I didn’t know about Blackbeard, I was especially surprised to find the ransom demanded to un-blockade a harbor was a chest of medicine. Certainly not piracy as we (I) usually think of it.

Susan

That’s an understatement.

Some of my favorite seafarin’ songs are about syphilis (Many of
which accuse the whoman in question of being a Fireship rigged
up in a disguise).

  • As I was a-walkin’ down Paradise Street
    Way, hey, blow the man down
    A pretty young damsel I chanced for to meet
    Give me some time to blow the man down

I threw out my hawser and took her in tow
Way, hey, blow the man down
And yardarm to yardarm away did we go
Give me some time to blow the man down

…

It was up in her quarters she piped me aboard
Way, hey, blow the man down
And there on her bed I cut loose with my sword
Give me some time to blow the man down

Now me shotlocker’s empty, me powder’s all spent
Way, hey, blow the man down
And I can’t fire no shots 'cause I’m choked at the vent!
Give me some time to blow the man down

Here’s a health to that maid with the beautiful eyes
Way, hey, blow the man down
Here’s a health to that harlot who tarnished me prize!
Give me some time to blow the man down