Good point. Perhaps in the future we ought to make certain that something is really a fraud before posting ‘wolf’.
The buyer DID make a genuine mistake and has now amended his description after several emails to determine its authenticity. I think it would be appropriate to take the word fraud from the thread.
Dorothy Howard
Howard Music Ltd.
One step ahead of you there Dorothy. ![]()
Has anyone verified that the seller and auction is genuine?
Apart from checking the history of the seller (I did - he has none) how can you do this?
By contacting the seller by e-mail and phone (or in person) for some confidence that if someone sent money, the pictured stuff would be sent.
One problem with people that have not registered with PayPal is that, for PayPal, one has to be verified through one’s checking or credit account while just starting up an eBAY account requires no verification. So, potentially, the seller will require cash or MO payment and nothing will be sent.
While every journey starts with one step, it would be prudent to verify sellers with new eBAY accounts almost at any price point.
This seller is asking for PayPal payment.
Well, maybe drew my guns a bit early there, wouldn’t be the first time.
… I am so ‘with you’ there… ![]()
I wasn’t only focused on the one auction since presently several first-time sellers are selling chanters and practice sets on eBAY. Be careful out there!
I remember I had to give my creditcardinfo for ebayregistration
ebay says:
Your card will be used for identification only and will not be charged at any time. By having this type of identification from all users, eBay remains a safe place to buy and sell.
The PayPal step takes the whole verification one more step. People here have been warned to be cautious with new sellers, so after all that, Happy Bidding!
… I’m sitting here, chuckling to myself, proudly rercharging an old Mantra that: “… shopping eBay is a dumb and dicey thing to do…” and then I remembered that my one and only purchase on eBay was from Jim McGuire… for a box of really cool old pipe parts, a really cool and dead bellows and some other cool bits of old milled brass tubes… junk, basically.
![]()
… oh, and thanks Jim! I am currently using roughly 50% of that purchase to this day! ![]()
Sold - GBP 181.05