I’ve had a few drams tonight, and as most of us know, you will inevitabily start to feel a tad sentimental after that. My sentimentalness forced me to open directories of old music I had recorded and listen to it. I instantly found my old record with my last band Renkilt from 2006. I think the link to the group is still in my signature. It is a very mediocre record to be honest, but it is still close to my heart. We sold a good 300 copies of the cd on gigs and stuff before we decided it was out of print. Now, if any of you want the whole cd, I can send it to you via e-mail, the 10 tracks plus bonuses as a .zip or .rar file, but I’m afraid I don’t have to booklet and cover on my computer at this time so you won’t get that. PM your e-mail adress if you want the cd. The only thing I want in return is a PM back where you tell me what you thought of it after listening through the record at least a couple of times, alright?
Send me a PM with your e-mail adress if this is of interest. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Cheers.I raise my glass of Bunnahabhain
whisky
That dram might have made you forget that there’s a link to the album in your online signature. I just clicked on it, and about 30 seconds later, I’m a fan. Really nice playing!
Edited: that link is only for one cut-- Drowsy Maggie and another reel.
I want the whole thing: paul “at” busmanwhistles “dot” com
Some clever fellow suggested I upload the files at box.net instead, and I thought that sounded like a marvelous idea. That way most of you should be able to download the cd from there, saves me some trouble, and avoids flooding people’s inboxes. There will be both zip and rar files so you can choose whatever you like. Due to file size restrictions at box.net I had to split the cd into three parts. The first part contains tracks 1-4, the second contains tracks 5-8, the third contains tracks 9, 10 and bonus tracks. If you cannot for some reason download the album, let me know and I’ll e-mail it to you
Also, most people already got this, but just to be clear: When I said I’d like to know what you think of it, I did not mean that I’m uploading this album to get critique on my playing or our music. I know the quality of the record, the flaws, the good parts, lots of people have been listening to it. The band split about a year ago. I’m uploading this as a free cd for all to enjoy because I like to share the music, and we’re not playing it any more. I’m not looking for reviews, but if you like, do tell me what you thought of it…
Also, you may use the cd whatever way you like, but not commercially of course, and not without crediting us.
Fair?
So very nice. I heard the samples on MySpace and downloaded the link you mentioned. Very traditional, very nice. There’s also good variation with the male and female voice and the airs. That’s sometimes a difficult point in traditional folk.
Some very nice Irish music there is from Scandinavia (I own the cd’s of Quilty and their successor Eitre and also Ale Moller and Bordrun, more than beautiful!). Very funny is the resemblance between Scandinavian and Irish folk (eg. Ale Moller, Ranarim, Krack, Swap).
Glad you like it arnie. BTW, there are no female singers on the record, but I’ll let our lead singer know what you thought of his voice
I think the recemblance is sometimes very obvious, other times not so much. But Celtic and Scandinavian cultures are very much related, it’s obvious when you look at both language, art and everything, and especially Viking and Celtic designs from the bronze age and stuff like that.
These days we’re even rivalling them in making good
whisky
I wouldn’t say very much related. There are similarities though.
Nice music by the way, I’m a swede myself and looking to join a band eventually, when my skill and feeling has increased. If you know a group in the Södermanland/Uppland area that wants new players, feel free to PM me.
Thanks for sharing this. I’ve listened to it a few times, and it makes me smile (in a good way).
I like the energy and the accordian especially. The whistle is great too. If I’m being critical then perhaps the tuning isn’t 100% in places, but it’s good to listen to. Did you play live often? Is the band still together? Sounds like you had fun making the CD.
Oh and what whistles did you play on the tracks?
Stay hoopy,
Mike
(who has unfortunately just found out that he’s allergic to whisky)
What do you mean allergic? You just don’t like it? In that case, no worries, you’ve just started with the wrong brands and focused on the wrong things… I could teach anyone to like whisky
We did play live a fair deal, but none of us were into hard work so we could easily have played out more. The band is not together, we broke up a year or so ago. The whistles I used were primarily Syn aluminium whistles, and in some of the sets I used a Shaw D because it just fit in better. The into to “The Foggy Dew” for instance is played on a Shaw, and also the last tune of “The Gigs” - Connaught Mans Rambles was played on a the Shaw because I couldn’t hit the high notes in the B part cosistently enough with the Syn.
And, yes, I know what you mean about the tuning. The record works best if you’ve knocked back a few drams of the
whisky
Yeah, I love whisky, but according to a recent test, I’m allergic to it! I’ve been on an alcohol-free and dairy-free diet for ten weeks now. I could murder a pint, and I don’t mean a pint of milk!
I’ve got a shaw too and much as I love the tone, mine isn’t quite in tune, which is a great shame.
Hey - you’re more than welcome to give me some feedback on my band (see sig).