My rant for the day-carrying small dogs

I was at lunch and this guy comes to the lunch counter with a small dog in his arms. I assume that carrying an animal into an area where food is prepared (coyotes in Chicago comes to mind) is cause for the health folks to get alarmed. I go out side with lunch and see another person holding a small dog in their arms. Is this a new, happening thing?? Can’t small animals walk in L.A. any more?

It’s happening here, too. I’ve seen two small dogs in the baskets of shopping carts, another couple being carried, and one in a kind of dog-bag.

There’ve even been a few wearing home-made “companion dog” vests. I mean, really! Pink with fringe? The letters were obviously iron-on.

Granted, I’m glad they’re not leaving them in the car, but can’t they leave them AT HOME? Since when did dogs develop social needs that can only be fulfilled in the deli section?

It wouldn’t be so bad if they kept to themselves. A few weeks ago in Petsmart – where I realize they’re encouraged – I was innocently standing in line to pay for a fish-tank plant when I was . . . snorfled . . . by an enormous beast. It licked me. Its owner was oblivious.

Tsk.

“snorfled” I love it! It made me snerf some coffee out onto my keyboard I was laughing so hard!

I’ve seen the little dogs showing up in odd places too. Kind of freaks me out. Makes me want to go get my daughters Rotwieler , point it at the little dog and say “Look! Lunch!”

Did the shop have a “No Dogs” sign visible? In the UK these are highly visible on the doors to resturants and food retailers. Guide Dogs are usually allowed anywhere. It’s up to the retailer to enforce the restrictions, as far as I know, as it’s a civil offense (I think).

Pubs will usually allow dogs, even if they sell food, but it’s polite to check, and many times I’ve sat in the garden at pubs with a dog or two tied to a garden table.

“Yeah I know that Guide Dogs are usually Labradors or Alsatians. So what have I got, then?”

at one festival we were at, a lady had one of those “teacup” poodles (sorry, I refuse to call THAT a dog) in this little pouch thing she had around her (the lady’s) neck. She was taking hammered dulcimer classes, and the dog “hung” there all day.
I guess Buster and Wyley will just continue to live deprived lives…

Since they started being diagnosed with epilepsy and can’t be left alone?

Awww, don’t tell me you ain’t gonna buy those beautiful boxers a cute neck pouch to ride around in :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess Tamagotchis became too predictable?

I agree that it’s silly to carry small dogs around everywhere, but
I don’t know why we worry so much about bringing them into
restaurants. Many dogs I’ve seen are better behaved than some
people’s children, and no one kicks those kids out of the restaurant.

yeah - as soon as YOU take that slobbering one you have and do the same!!! :smiley:

Y’know, I did once have to physically pick her up and carry her home while out on a walk because some little poodle got aggressive and scared the poop outta her… :laughing: :laughing:

Okay! Okay! I get the message. Next time I’ll shave first. <grumble, grumble>

djm

Are you implying that folks are trying to pass their dogs off as
companion dogs when they are not??? That’s almost worse than
parking in the handicapped spot…

I must admit, most people would not be happy if their child licked
you (they don’t know where you’ve been), so score one for the
human cubs…

What were you doing on a leash in Petsmart? :boggle:

Duuuude, it’s, like, L.A. right? Hellllllllo? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

There’s nothing new about it. It just comes and goes into fashion every once in a while. These pocket things have been around for many years. I would take a golden retriever over them any day. :smiley:

djm

When I was in college(hard to believe, eh) there was a young lady who insisted (and this is true…) on attending classes accompanied by her macaw, perched on shoulder.
OK, it was an art school…but still… we’re talking parrot food in her pockets, poop rag on her shoulder, and (I guess…) typical bird behavior in all its primal splendor.
Thankfully, she only lasted one semester.

I think if you had one of those little tiny dogs on a leash and it was walking around where quite a few people were also walking, it might get stepped on. Some of those tiny dogs seem pretty nervous too, probably for good reason, and maybe the owners carry them when there are a lot of people around to keep them from going off the deep end. Or maybe in a store, the little dog could accidentally get crushed by the door closing on it. Oh, the poor little things!

I hadn’t realized people actually bought outfits for them however.
I can see little sweaters or coats to keep them warm, but it seems like the
dress thing is going a little too far. It’s kind of cute though :laughing: .

It would be really hard not to pee on this. I mean, for the doggie. I could resist.