http://www.neyzen.com/english.htm
Loads of sound clips on the Ney Improvisations page.
Regards,
Harry.
http://www.neyzen.com/english.htm
Loads of sound clips on the Ney Improvisations page.
Regards,
Harry.
Thanks for the link. I find Neys terribly inspiring and difficult to play though, embouchure, tuning, etc… Some years ago I bought a set on Neys though e-bay after a concert of Omar Faruk Tekbilek http://www.omarfaruktekbilek.com/. Poor quality instruments I guess according to the price. Never mind, the seller never sent them (to me at least)
I have a ney on the way from this maker:
I can’t find much info on Turkish ney music on-line. There seems to be a big thing for improvisation, but not much to say about other contexts.
Regards,
Harry.
thanks harry, i spent some time listening and being transported into another world. i tried playing one of those neys one time. i got pretty dizzy!
[duplicate post removed]
Kiz, Mansur?
Not easy at all, you can try luck at http://www.turkishmusic.org/index7.html and
http://www.arab-music.com/cd01_e.htmlThere is some Sufi, Dervish and Ney artists around.
Let us know how you like the flute, please, Harry. I’ve thought about getting one for some time but wouldn’t have much of a clue as to how to play it. I’m not a Mevlevi but i’ve met some Mevlevis recently and they might know some neyzen.
The Mevlevis have some cool music – look for stuff by Kudsi Erguner; he has a number of CDs of both improvisation and Mevlevi sama’i (ritual “whirling dervish” music) as well as classical Turkish ensemble music. One of my favorites of his is a fusion of sama’i with flamenco set to the poetry of the great Andalsian shaykh Muhiyuddin Ibn-al’Arabi. Not sure if it’s available anymore, though.
Thanks for the links.
I ordered Kiz tuned. I’ll let you know how I get on. I’ve been practicing with all manner of pipes and tubes… intwesting…
All the besht,
H.
Ibn Al Arabi spent some time at my town, Cordoba ![]()
I can’t remember him pretty well though. It was at XIIth century…
rh, thanks for the link. Inspiring music there.