Hi all,
Long time lurker, first time poster, as the saying goes. ![]()
As you can tell by the title of the thread, I have a few questions related to buying uilleann pipes, as well as uilleann pipes in general.
I’m planning to buy my first set of uilleann pipes, and I’m looking at a practise set. I’ve heard almost entirely positive things of David Daye’s chanter, so I’m really leaning towards getting one. My question is, are his bellows and bag also high-quality, or would I be better off sourcing them elsewhere? If so, what are your recommendations?
Also, are his drones well-regarded? If I made my own bag, or sourced one from another maker, what is the process for tying-in drones?
Finally, how far can you go when cobbling together a set? I’m going to guess that you want all the reeded pieces (chanter, drones, and regulators) to be made by the same maker, otherwise the reeds will have different pressures, and it will be difficult, if not impossible, to play all three together properly. Is this right, or is it possible to have, say, a homemade bag, a Thompson bellows, a Daye chanter, a set of Banba drones, and a set of Rogge regulators, and have it all work together?
Apologies if any of this has been covered in previous threads. I didn’t manage to find anything in the archives, but I might have missed something.