A few months ago i mentioned a series of books by oxford university press for undergraduate students i nethnomusicology.
Today the volume on irish Music was launched. I am just back fro mthe launch so i haven’t had time to look at it all that close but I want to recommend it anyway (if only for the photographs,
).
The book outlines irish music, hsitory, song, Sean Nos singing and instrumental music, dance, music in the marketplace, passing it on.
The book also gives some insight in a wellknown session in West Clare that used o be led by Junior Crehan (which happens to be the one I am part of on the sunday nights).
Recommended reading. A CD iis included in the book
Music in Ireland : experiencing music, expressing culture/ Dorothea Hast, Stanley Scott Oxord university press ISBN 0-19-514555-0
ONe of the authors, Dora, is a whsitleplayer fro mConnecticut and whsitle players are included in the book. (added for relevance)