I number of years ago I used to play fiddle (poorly, I might add) in a contra dance band in Tucson. I found a few of my old dance tunes when I was going through boxes in the attic. While the tunes were originally written for the fiddle, with some transposition or playing octaves for the lower notes they all can be played on the flute. In fact, I just played them on Jem’s piccolo, which just happens to be lying on my computer desk, and now my ears are ringing. Unless you have better eyesight than mine, you can click on the thumbnails to enlarge the photos.
Guru, I assume that you are referring to John Playford (1623-1686), best known for his publication of “The English Dancing”. My wife tells me frequently that I am a little bit behind the times.
John, I really enjoyed hearing you play “The Westphalia Waltz” on the concertina. The crowd at the bar did too.
Doug, I only wish I had brought my B/C box, so I could have played my fancy dancy accordion arrangement for you. Next time, my friend. And I’ll play your tunes as an encore.