Hi Lads,
I got this tune from Freemount fiddle-player Geraldine O Callaghan who got it from a friend who found it in Cork City Library. It was collectged as part of an initiative by the Folklore Commission (in the 40’s?) who asked primary children across the country to bring in songs & tunes from their parents/ grandparents…a bit like a google search in more primitive times. There was no name on the tune but there was a note saying it had been collected in an area near Macroom, County Cork called Muing Fhliuch.
The title refers to a type of wet (fliuch) field/meadow (Muing) of which we have as many as the Icelanders have types of snow. This is also the provenance of the reels on the CD with the same name. It is pronounced Mween Luch or Mona Fluck depending on who you are talking to.
Beir Bua
Conal
Thanks so much Conal! I had a time trying to figure that out. My Irish isn’t very good.
here is my story concerning the Cnoc Bui cd…
It was 3 years ago or maybe more… that I first met Mr. O’Grada.
Wonderful player and a lovely person. At that time he was very busy with
his work and seemed to have not much time to play the flute…
I found this a terrible shame since I always considered his playing as simply Great!
I asked him for a new cd as the Top of the Coom was already very old, and
Conal’s playing obviusly changed across time.
He had no intention to record another cd!! in a very humble way he said
something like “I’ve alreay recorded once, there is no need for another cd”…
Often irish musicians just think their music as something just very natural and
not that “intresting” for other people…
Anyway I Strongly claimed for a new cd! and I like to think that this meeting
has been a small seed for this new release!
So:

![]()
I’ve got good quality mp3 of this cd few weeks after its release,
and I thought it was Very Good! but I wasn’t really convinced about it.
I was waiting to get an original copy from the man himself, and I finally got
it few days ago at the Cruinniú Flute Meeting.
I put the cd in my present hi-fi, C@mbridgeAudio amp and N@D cdPlayer,
connected to small 2 ways speakers (medium quality brand)…
well,…
IMPRESSIVE . . . .
it’s still not like having Mr O’Grada playing just in front of you, but there is
so much difference with respect to the hi-quality mp3! in particular Breaths,
Grasps and Vibrations! these are incredibly emphasized by the high quality support.
and those are all main features his flute playing.
So I wrote here to say that (imho) THIS CD is one of the best flute release
ever made! and it is both new and perfectly trad in the same time.
I mean that this cd is something comparable only to what the Molloy’s black album meant
but in our present days!
and I feel that it still not getting the
resonance that it deserve !
An amazing recording that really ought to be bought!
ps from the cd I also discoverd that the man have a personal website too!
http://conalograda.com/