Conal O'Grada's 2nd solo recording

Hey there,
If it is sold out, it sold out again. I just got one ordered and they shipped a copy to me yesterday. Also, if you put on there site to notify you by email they will do so, that is what I did.
Kurt

The CD showed up in the post today. Lovely music played straight-up. A flute album for flute players. I like that he included a few old chestnuts such as Green Mountain and The Humours of Donnybrook, proving that there is no such thing as a ‘tired’ tune. My only gripe with the album is the absence of any liner notes. Being able to read some background on the tunes is the main reason I still buy actual CD’s versus the cheaper and quicker option of MP3 downloading.

regards,

SteveB

I downloaded it off of iTunes the other day. The playing and tune selection exceeded my high expectations of Conal. Luckily I haven’t been in this long enough to have waited the 18 years between this album and the first. It was certainly worth the 5 years I have waited.

While the tone off of his flute is still very characteristic of Conal from The Top Of Coom, it has a finer edge. I wonder how much of that is a different instrument (cocus Hamilton instead of the Rudall w/ Fentum head), how much is the recording and how much the player.

Anyways, this album will be getting lots of play. I WILL learn “Lesbia Hath A Beaming Eye.”

:party:

This guy never let’s me down!!! :astonished:

Conal O’Grada, Pat Mahon, Catherine McEvoy, Seamus Tansey, Ciaran Somers, Tara Diamond :sunglasses: fine musicians. I’m still playing Conal’s CD

Just downloaded this from iTunes today.

Lichening BRILLIANT!

And Aaron, I so see the light about about “Lesbia Hath A Beaming Eye.” :slight_smile: What a tune! (it really reminds me of something, but … what?) I wish I was a better piper; I’d kill to get that going! (Heck, I’d be happy to get it on the flute, what am I talking about?)

The Graf Spey & Come West set at the end is a pure barn-burner.

Nora Criona?

Just downloaded the tunes and they’re outstanding! The Muing fhliuch and Greensleeve jigs are amazing. The last reel, Come West Along the Road is an amazing example of the irish flute!

BTW, does anyone know what muing fhliuch means?

WHat a Cd. Stunning playing, even more when you consider that most tracks are unnacompanied, and even then its only the sound of Flute&Bodhran- a great old sound.

Maybe better(or at least on an even pegging with) than Molloy’s Black Album???

Anyone know the names of the Muing Fliuch Reels?

conal on rte radio oct 19 interview starts around 32 minutes into program

Thanks, man! :slight_smile:

Great interview.

Can’t believe no one else has opinions on this CD?

They’ve all worn their fingers down to stubs trying to play like him. :wink:

I was listening to this again on a long drive this past weekend, and it really is stellar. Just perfect.

i downloaded it from CDbaby

In progress so far:

Polkas: The Church Street Polka & The Happy Polka
Reels: The Fishermans Lilt & The Caucus Reel
Reels: Green Mountain & The Rookery
Reels: The Old Copperplate & The Old Bush

also managed to play with him a couple of weeks agao at an event held by the Belfast Traditional Music Society, nice fella too, didn’t dare try any of these on him but was gagging to. :slight_smile:

Fantastic

Really enjoy Conal’s playing and that record is Brilliant! The repertoire is great, and Conal was in top form for that date.

From a producer’s perspective, I would’ve used less reverb. After he sells the 1st pressing (and I’d be shocked if he didn’t), it would be great if he went back in the studio to find a verb w/less time on it, and make the 2nd pressing a wee bit dryer, bringing him “closer” to the listener.

For all those interested, I attended a small workshop with Chris Norman today and he let it slip that Mr. O’Grada will be the guest instructor at the Boxwood Festival this summer in Nova Scotia. Nothing official on the Boxwood website yet, but Chris seemed pretty certain.

Old Thread Resurrection

I was just listening to this album today and remembered this old thread because I never did figure something out.

Does anyone know what muing fhliuch means? I love the jig by that name on the album, as well as the reels. Thanks! The only thing I could come up with in searches is Wet Bush or Wet Mane. Any Irish speakers know?

According to my Irish dictionary, “moing fliuch” could be wet mane, but I couldn’t find words with the same spelling as you provided. “muin” means back.

Could it be muin = back (of an animal)? So the wet back? :astonished:

[ Crossed posts with Kevin. ]