I am very much happy to be told I’m wrong on this!
I first started paying attention to uilleann pipes about 15 years ago, in my late teens. I couldn’t afford pipes then, and it was several years before I managed a Daye half set, then later a proper chanter (which I still play with the wonderful Daye drones). I will be finally getting my full set later this year, to my great delight.
However, one of the things I notices was that, in around 2005 when I first browsed the web about pipes, it seemed to be amid a bit of a renaissance. There were dozens of makers with price-lists and wait times posted, lots of other merchants selling supporting things (reed cane, etc), and lots of chat and websites with information about uilleann pipes. Perhaps most indicative of all, Hakam Din full sets were everywhere - ebay, amazon, other sites - to capitalize on the unsuspecting new piper (happily I found Chiff and Fipple before I succumbed!)
Now, though there are undoubtedly more pipers, it feels like we are going through a bit of a drought of pipemaking. When one looks at the lists of makers on Uilleann Obsession or elsewhere, for example, well more than half have non-functioning websites - either retired or with full forever waitlists. New makers seem less full-time, often operating on Facebook or otherwise and without the formal ordering process of several years ago. It seems harder to find some things and it seems that many resources have stagnated if not disappeared. Again most indicatively, Harp and Dragon, Lark in the Morning, and Hobgoblin wont even sell half and full sets of Hakam Din anymore! ![]()
It won’t matter much to me, as I suspect my full set will be my first and last set of pipes (hmmm maybe a half set of flat pipes, or…uuuh, maybe 3/4… or a couple more chanters…), but I’ve just noticed the whole area of uilleann pipe making (NOT playing) has gone a bit quiet. Maybe it is part of a generational shift as the makers of the 90s/00’s finish up and hand over to emerging makers not yet fully set up?
Am I wrong? I hope so. Would love to hear a bit of discussion from those here far more informed than me.