Sorry. That last post made out that Bill H. is not a good flat set maker. From what I have seen and heard, the complete opposite is the case.
I had Martin Preshaw was trying to break into the flat pipes market. Have you run a query past him?
djm
No I have not.
You see, I have heard glowing tributes for Rogge’s work. And had I not been reading this board for some time now, I would not even have heard of Martin. Also, the fact that he is ‘thinking of venturing intot he flat pipes buisness’ is slightly discouraging.
If, and when, I do order a flat set, I want it to be a fantastic set, one that would last a lifetime, and one that could be handed down to the next piping generation. I am not saying that this would not happen if I bought s set from Martin, but I AM saying that it will not happen if I place an order with Andreas.
Apart from that Andreas will post you any in tune reed in a very short time and you have to learn how to adjust it anyway. This is even more important for a piper than learning tunes. As Pat Sky wrote: “There is no way about it”. After all, a set of pipes is something different than a stringed instrument where you just go into any music-shop to buy a new set of “ropes”.
Hans
Double negatives really confuse me…
and looks in grammatical terms like u are saying “getting a fantastic set will not happen if I place an order with Andreas” when I think you really mean that you are sure you’ll get a fantastic set if you order from Andreas ???
It looks like Peter Hunter makes flat sets.
Davy Stephenson will take you all the way down to G… that’s right, G. Although that would end up sounding more like a pastoral pipe.
Does anybody if Eugene Lambe or Cillian O’Briain make flat sets?
If you’re getting something from overseas don’t forget the favorable exchange rates with Canada and the USA. (hopefully that will change in 7 years time).
I’ll caveat that I don’t play uilleann pipes and if I did I would either sound too much like a flute player or a Highland piper to be called an uilleann piper ![]()
Martin Preshaw makes lovely C sets. You could probably drive over and play one (how would that be). Or, if you want to come to Idaho, you can play my Gallagher B set. I’ll make sandwiches. ![]()
Remember, I’m not knockin g Rogge whatsoever. Certainly get one from him if you like. But do check out Martin as well if your searching. Really a nice fellow and makes a mean set of pipes. I had one of his older C sets and it was beautiful to see and hear. His new models are said to be even nicer. ![]()
Doc
Its an interesting point that there arent all that many flat set makers around.
I hadnt thought of that before.
MvD also makes flat sets

http://www.box.net/shared/dtmsoecdsk
A Rogge D set in the hands of a complete tosser.
(sorry about the choice of choon) ![]()
(its amazing the amnesia that happens to a fella when there’s a microphone brought into the equation)
The pricelist that Cillian used to put out many moons ago said
Concert D sets ONLY
at the top.
Not sure why Cillian never felt like turning out the occasional flat set. Maybe he just figured that people like Geoff Wooff had that scene pretty well covered…