3D printed chanter

Today I printed a chanter thingy on a Bambu Labs printer at a makerspace I’m a member of.
I’ve been advised that 5€ will cover the cost of the print.
I still have to make a cap - which I think I’ll design myself.
But I may well go on to have a go at the rest of the main components, more to see if it can be done than anything.

It took 5 hours and a bit, and once I’ve made good, I’ll post some photos.

Now to also find a reed builder - or perhaps I can make one myself! :thinking: hehe.

3D printing file

Timelapse video of the print

1 Like

On paper, there’s no reason a 3d print can’t turn out a perfect woodwind every time, but I have yet to actually pull it off. Let me know how it goes!

Indeed, I’ll be interested to see the results. I started with a Rowesome-based design myself, before tweaking a few things to end up with the current Beckendorf chanters. I found it easier to start with a good reed, and test chanter designs against that, than hope that the chanter is good, and try to make a reed to match it.

Also, my chanters are 3D printed from resin on an SLS printer, which has a higher resolution and more reproducible results than an FDM printer. It will be intriguing to see how it turns out!

1 Like