Starter set for Sacramento Valley California

I have about a year under my belt on whistle (Burke D narrow bore in brass) and would like to start pipes about a year from now. I am saving up for a starter set and I am considering David Daye due to our semi-arid climate here. Any feedback or other recommendations would be appreciated.

Seth Hamon makes fine poly/plastic chanters too http://www.swedishbagpipes.com/uilleann.html
But well a seasoned wooden chanter would survive fine but if and when the reeds dry out that can cause a problem
When humidity drops below 25% you run into problems but some people manage ok so ask around!

All the best.

Tommy

The Daye set is a good place to start. If you want to stick with it, it can be easily sold to move onto something more long term. Michael Hubbert lives fairly close and makes wonderful pipes, but much more pricey than the Daye pipes. Good to be close to your maker.

Good advice Ted. An old Irish friend of mine contacted me today about a practice set. I sent her video clips, pictures and my price list but I felt obliged to let her know that there are fine pipes makers within a few hours drive of her house. I may have lost a sale but you have to let people know these things. It’s not like buying a guitar on ebay.
My pipes maker, Kevin Thompson was 6 miles from where I grew up!

Local is better.

Tommy

Thanks for the replies. I agree local is better and will consider that for my second set where price may be less of an issue.

Hi I can second Tompipes re Seth Hamon I have one of his chanters they play superb and our outstanding value for money
well worth looking into
ap

A previously loved and well trained David Daye practice set arrived in the mail and I have gotten an A and a bottom D out of it. This post serves as notice that the 21 year clock has started.

Congratulations Rick; be patient and enjoy the journey. These things have a way of getting in your blood.

check your PM