Favorite Irish Flute Album (CD)

Lately, any combination of Catherine McEvoy, John McEvoy, and John Wynne.

All-time favorite? That’s really hard. . . . ask me tomorrow.

Who has a copy of O Bhéal go Béal by Marcas O Murchú?

I can’t find a way to buy it digitally and shipping to the US from the UK is practically equal to cost of the album.

Bah!

Hmm… I happen to be listening to The Maple Leaf right now. :slight_smile:

You’ve got 1 track on WFO1

Philippe Varlet carries it at Celtic Grooves:
http://celticgrooves.homestead.com/CG_OMurchu_Marcas.html

Shipping from the Washington, DC area.

Good call MT :thumbsup:

Ah ha!

Thats it!

:thumbsup:

In case people are reading this thread to get ideas for albums to listen to, here are a couple more great ones that no one has mentioned yet (in no particular order).

  • Peter Horan and Fred Finn’s album
  • Paddy Carty solo record and the record with Conor Tully
  • PJ Crotty and James Cullinane
  • Matt Molloy and Sean Keane
  • Matt Molloy and Tommy Peoples

There are some many great albums out there. It’s good to listen to as much music as you can.

Brendan

I’m listening a lot to these lately

Joe Burke: The Taylor’s Choice
Jean Michel Veillon: E Koad Nizan

some extremely beautiful music in both

Yeah, but take a look at his shipping price for 1 cd:

“Because the business is home-based, we use Priority Mail for shipping (except for overseas orders) and insure all packages. This means that the minimum shipping & handling charge is $7.50 (reflecting a recent increase in USPS rates) for the first item or items with a total insured value no greater than $50…”

more on this page:

Sure, Philippe makes that 100% clear on his site. Is there a better option for a new (domestic US) copy?

http://www.musicinscotland.com/acatalog/Marcas_O_Murchu_CDs.html (£11.02 = US$16.53
http://www.claddaghrecords.com/WWW/product.asp?pID=1056&c=255131 (€16.50 = US$20.93)
http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/details1.asp/ProductID/3195/sid/245/Marcas-O-Murchu-O-Bheal-Go-Beal-CD.htm (£13.99 = US$21.70)
http://www.scotweb.co.uk/sr_swmus_CICD126?display=all:id=K2UQ4oBQ (£18.78 = US$29.13)

All plus international shipping and handling, as Aanvil noted.

I very much enjoy listening to Paddy Carty’s “Traditional Irish Music” album. Just good solid flute playing.
I like Matt Molloy’s albums when he’s playing trad.
Sean Moloney is one I heard about a year ago and though I haven’t purchased an album yet due to the high cost of overseas shopping, I’ve listened to most of them online and I dig his style.
Kevin Crawford’s “In Good Company” is another great one.
“The Southwest Wind” by Ronan Browne & Peter O’Loughlin - I know it’s not a “flute” album but I heard it recently thanks to a session mate and I really enjoyed it.

Don’t know-just wanted whomever to be aware of the high shipping cost. Best I could find is here:

http://electricscotland.allcelticmusic.com/index.html
£8.34+£3.00 ship to US=£11.34 or about $17.4295 USD

Seems pretty cheap, but I can’t vouch for the accuracy, nor the speed of delivery, though I’m tempted to order a copy myself!

The prices really are all over the place, aren’t they. Well, at least there are options.

And let’s not forget his 2nd CD “Turas Ceoil (Musical Journey)”

Although not strictly a flute album, Music at Matt Malloy’s has a winsome atmosphere unequalled by anything esle in the canon.

Must say, I always throw my eyes up to heaven when I hear people complaining about delivery costs. Look you have the facility of ordering it from home .. no driving, parking, walking, searching and then you expect to have it posted at little or no charge.
As someone who once ran a small mail order concern, delivery costs were and are always rising - the most expensive packages to post relative to their value (& profit margin) are small one off orders. Then on top of that, if one takes payment by credit card, one pays a flat percentage rate to the card company on the total sale - cost of CD or whatever, sales tax and postage.
It all adds up very quickly - people who run small specialist mail order services like trad CD’s should be appreciated for the service they offer. You may be quite sure they are not getting rich very quickly out of it!

Good man Peter. I forgot about that one :thumbsup:

My comment about his high shipping cost was purely economic in nature, not personal. If you have the money and want to support him, I say good for you and to whomever can do so.

You also talk about costs to run such a small mail order concern adding up and the need to charge more, but it’s very similar for the buyers in this case-the high cost of traditional imported music here in the US, along with the generally high cost of shipping, so yes, it all adds up for the buyer besides.

I don’t have anywhere near the amount of traditional music on CD that I would like to have, simply for the economic issues. Therefore, I don’t get to hear much of that music I would like to, nor am I able to support the traditional musicians I would also enjoy supporting, in turn. This economy only makes it worse, not better, so I choose very carefully where, when and how I buy music. I would imagine there are otherd in the same position here also, and why I made the comments I did before. If that bothers you, I’m sorry, but it’s a real concern for me, and others, I’m fairly sure. And no, I do not expect postage costs to be at little or no charge, I just compare them to what others are charging for the same service. Sometimes there are added handling charges, which is probably the case here.