My first whistle was an Oak. It was the only one I had for about 15 years. Then I got caught up in Whoa and bought about 9 more of various brands. That was before I got a Hoover whitecap a year ago. Now that is about the only thing I play.
I tried a whitecap on the Oak tube, but I liked the original sound so I put the old head back on.
Angelo
I have many Oaks and have never found any of them to have any kind of moisture problem. I also find that they never need warming up or breaking in. They are all tweeked with wax to help strengthen the lower register and to help out the general overall tone. They are fine whistles.
Hear hear. I like em. Been the only really good cheapos straight out of the box. Mine is almost as good as the tweaked gen I’ve been playing. The body is second to none. I did ruin one back a couple weeks ago though. Came on a painted barrel, and I put it in too too hot water for too long. When I grabbed it, it really warped wierd…
You know,I MUST investigate my Oak further- I purchased one from ‘Shannaquay’ in july 02 (together with a Doolin 2 piece,a Clare 2 piece,and received a freeby Doolin 1 piece into the bargain).
I remember being impressed by the quality of the tube with it’s ‘double nickel’ plating.I know that they take good breath control- go v. easy on the wind, if I remember rightly.
I dunno why I didn’t really go for the Oak-maybe it was submerged by my ‘whistle overdrive’ getting FOUR whistles at one go (though I think I was on a ‘Generation’ kick at the time.
I have a couple of days leave from work,and it’s snowing outside,so I might as well give it another go.
P.S.
Just dug the Oak out. Nice looking whistle. Excellent,heavy weight tube,no ‘poison head’ problems (AAAGHhh! Sorry!),but,OBVIOUSLY, it’s NICKEL!
I have to admit that I prefer patinated brass-it’s a lot less slippery on the fingers.
A BRASS Oak would be a FINE whistle!