A reed making saga -- success on 2nd attempt?

Warning: contains 3D CAD and 3D printing nerd-outs, as well as the reed making adventures.

Having read many of the reed making threads here, I just about came to the conclusion that I would not go down this path. I obtained a Howard reed and was able to adjust it to get acceptable performance on my Carbony half set. This fulfilled my desire to have a backup reed for when/if my original reed went south.

But, I do like to make things in my shop, and the vague itch to try my hand at it did not go away. After encouragement from my piping teacher Dr. Eliot Grasso (who I >>highly<< recommend for beginning through advanced level pipers), I went ahead and got the NPU video, and the Patrick O’Hare book. In my subsequent efforts I have mainly used the O’Hare reed design.

I obtained from NPU both raw Spanish cane and a few pre-gouged slips, along with the reed template, bridle strips, and tried to get the mandrel but it is currently on back order, expected availabiliy in Jan. I was able to source the #4 gouge locally, as well as a hand plane as recommended in the NPU video, and which I have found to be useful.

For sanding blocks I decided to make my own via 3D printing. This seems to have worked well.

Next chapter: the first attempt.