WHAT MAKES JIGS & REELS & AIRS DIFFERENT???

Just flute players from Sligo? :wink:

Actually I think the counting might depend on how fast you play the reels. I spent a lot of time listening to and watching a well-known fiddler in sessions in London years ago. When the reels began to come to the boil he would start tapping his foot in double-time, heel and toe - four to a bar. This was a sure sign that the excitement level was about to head into the stratosphere.

In more than one band I have played in I or another musician would count a whispered 1-2-3-4 as a lead in to fast reels, and that was one bar’s worth.

You’d be surprised. I don’t know about websites, but I have a couple of books that have jigs listed as reels and vice versa (and one that even has a hornpipe listed as a “jig”!). The Mel Bay books are notorious for messing such things up (don’t even get me started on their translations of the Irish titles!).

Redwolf

Well put Peeplj!

S.J.

Nothing. They’re all the same.

From time to time we start on different notes for variety’s sake.

Three jigedys? Wouldn’t that be a slip jig?

My own way of explaining it is that if it goes did-dl-ey did-dl-ey, did-dl-ey did-dl-ey it’s a jig.

If it goes diddle diddle, diddle diddle it’s a reel.

Jigs and reels are very easy to tell apart, and if you listen to one after the other then you’ll probably never confuse them. What can sometimes baffle a beginner is telling the difference between reels and hornpipes.

Airs tend to be slower, and tend to be done in a much looser kind of time. For example, Boolavogue is often written down in waltz time, but if you listen to many recorded versions where it’s done air style (not as in air-guitar though), particularly the Dubliners instrumental version you’d probably never guess what the time sig was supposed to be.

I think the bottom line with airs is that they are song tunes. Some move along quite briskly, some are very slow, some are highly ornamented a la sean nos singing, etc.

I can’t remember who came up with this mnemonic, but it’s stood me in good stead:

A reel: “watermelon, watermelon”

A double jig: “jiggedy, jiggedy”

A hornpipe: “upsy-daisy, upsy-daisy”

Redwolf

:laughing: :laughing:
I think I feel a tune coming on… with these great titles, somebody ought to have written them by now:

Watermelon Reel and Upsy-Daisy Hornpipe

Or should we really confuse them and write the Upsy-Daisy Jig and the Jiggedy Reel… :stuck_out_tongue:

Jennie

And which kind of jig goes with “paradimethylaminobenzaldehyde”?

Best wishes,
Jerry

Double jigs. Just try singing it to the tune of “Irish Washerwoman” :wink:

Redwolf