the audacity of it all has become insufferably appalling.

Apparently this man has/or had a website (Can’t find it)

He claims to be an Ex-Black Watch. While that may be true, he might be a bit sozzled here…

It’s also an example of a particular style of busking that I find rude and offensive: he scans the crowd, judging his chances, attempting to engage eye contact and thereby manipulate his audience. It’s a form of accosting. Whenever I come upon that predatory “Eye of Sauron” thing - and seasoned scanners see you coming a long ways off, be assured, just as much as you can see them in the offing - I make a point of walking on the other side when I can. I also notice it’s usually bad performers who do this rubbernecking. Sometimes they’re also Space Invaders: there’s a bad fiddleress who will call out to me when I’m on the other side of the walking bridge she frequents. It’s like being mugged. They’re not interested in improving the day for people; they’re just waving a lure with only their gain in mind. Well, at least it’s honest of them, I suppose, if you think of it in those terms.

I’ve stood on that exact spot, in January (the date of the video upload). And with the wind whipping off the Thames, it was bloody, mind-numbingly cold. Even on a nicer day the wind could blow you apart (as heard in this clip), or at least blow your kilt up. :astonished: I guess it’s a tourist spot for the view. Otherwise, it’s rather a daft spot for busking anyway, when most passers by want nothing more than to get the hell to the other side without hearing your pipes, much less seeing your bits.

I did notice that for the conditions his pipes seemed remarkably well in tune and functioning. I gave him that.

Think there’s a couple of pipers use Westminster bridge as their patch. There was 2 different ones when we were there a few weeks ago, neither were the one in that video. They were pretty good though but it was so busy with tourists (ourselves included) that we didn’t hang around to listen. Also I didn’t really go down to London to hear bagpipes…

This is the guy that treats the public to his daily practice sessions and expects payment in Aberdeen. Despite the video title I don’t believe he’s local. Apparently he’s an American. He’s been doing this for a few years now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOIuIAfmmkE

When the car horns and the gulls sound better than you do, you know you’re in trouble.

hmm. sounds just like a typical thursday in st johns cemetery.

sarcasm? :smiley: …one hopes…



Just checked it out again and heard that ugly high A properly now. Must be that second cuppa joe kicking in… :astonished:

Maybe he’s going for the “Pay and I’ll stop” route… :stuck_out_tongue:



Two great observations indeed gents :thumbsup:

Its also worth pointing out- that good pipers with ‘day-jobs’ in non-musical careers often do not have basic entertainment industry concepts as a skillset. If their connection with the instrument is founded on (for lack of better term) ‘non-social’ performance situations; a period of adjustment is frequently needed.

No one can change the gig to suit the piper- and this can be very intimidating for someone who;s used to regularity, accountability, integrity, advance planning, structured hierarchy of personnel , clockwork schedules, osha safety precautions & all those nice things in their ‘day-job’ workplace. Im not saying its a “blanket” syndrome, there are most certainly fine pipers with secure careers that can straddle both worlds, albeit a minority. Ive been very lucky to find them, and have performance op’s ready for them.
So.
What im essentially sayin is, keep yer day jobs peeps, unless you can swim with the sharks. :smiling_imp: 'specially the sharks that have good ears & a few A-Mach’s up their sleeves :wink: