D set vs. C or other flat set

Drat, I’ve been trying to find (without success) a photo of a lime green GMC pacer to represent the most affordanble, hence likely, outcome - the used budget concert D practice set with reed that previous owner swore was working OK a year ago but has not been played ‘recently’ :wink:.

uilleann915, I would defintely encourage you to consider a ‘flat pitch’ set if you can swing the mullah (and the wait time) for it. I recently made a C chanter based on a Kenna chanter and I hate to even pick up my D set anymore. I think that descriptions like ‘quiter’ and ‘mellower’ do not really describe the most significant difference between the older style chanters and the modern concert pitch variety. The flat pitch style chanter is richer in harmonics which seem to allow the note to ‘carry’ more effectively, compensating for the some what quiter sound (although many chanters are really not quiter than most concert pitch ones if reeded with that goal in mind - listen to David Power for instance). I have no problem being heard playing with a fiddle and whistle, and it is much better in tune than my D chanter. As already pointed out, I would not worry about sessions since you can pick up a D chanter eventually, and the regs and, to some extent, the drones are useless in large sessions as no one can really hear them properly. Better yet, find some fiddle and whistle players willing to play in C (or B if that is what you got). I know a couple of fiddle player who would much rather tune the fiddle down to C than play along with my concert pitch pipes! One even goes so far as to bring along a second fiddle always tuned in C for that purpose alone (bless her heart)! Occassionally our local regular session ends up going to C in a hand basket. So don’t think that if you get a flat set in C or B that you will always be stuck playing solo.
As far as playability, the finger spacing took a little adjustment. I have found that the C chanter I made was extremely easy to reed and so far I have not had to bother with adjusting it at all. This is a far cry from my concert chanter reeds which need be be tweaked and coaxed almost everytime I pick the thing up. Hence another reason my D chanter has been colecting dust while I play the C chanter.

Now if I only had the drones and regs completed…So it is off to the pipe loboratory for me!
~John

BTW, … that’s a '31 Bugatti, top speed 217 kph. Approximately 6 were made.


Then again, there’s only one Patroit, eh?

Yeah, one question. Is that guy playing Smash the Windows, or Wheelies of the World?

:smiley:


Howdy everyone. Long time no post. I stop by once in a while to check my PMs, and read the uilleann forum when I’m in town. Still up near the Eagle Cap Wilderness area, working on the cabin. Going slower than I thought, but getting started on the stonework (ouside walls) in a couple weeks. Roof’s on, windows and doors are in. I’ll post pics someday.

Hey! that’s an AMC Pacer–the General was never that imaginative.

No E

A neighbor of mine has a replica of a 1929 Bugatti. It is a cute car. My kids call it Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Not in that kind of condition though.

My idea of modern concert pitch:

:slight_smile:

Flat pitch and concert pitch together!!




RORY

Rory, I think that is a flacid pitch ya got there! But I wish my concert pipes were as nice as that, really nice regs. :slight_smile:

…yes, elderly I think I can identify, but which one’s the Real Man ?

:astonished:

PJ is correct.

As to the rest - Oh Dear.

I had thought to that our Moderator would lock this thread, images conflicting with arguments. But then I thought, what have cars and automobiles got to do with this discussion, and K’BOOM!

So, Flat sets are BIGGER (e.g. LONGER) than concert sets, and are able to produce a greater number of PLEASING tones. They also have DEEPER voices, and being quieter are encouragingly more persausive.

Concert sets are YOUNGER than flat sets, and have ‘LITTLE’ experience in the production of manners and tone. FLAT sets however, have a huge range of expression, and infinite subtlety, in a greater number of languages, and with their quieter voice are able to persuade a wider audience to listen to them and return to them, having found common ground in a sensitive musical environment.

The strident shout of YOUTH, with which the Concert sets assaults the ear lobes, is a suitable medium for the transigent novitiate to begin his journey, but only before that voice discovers the true poetry of the REAL instruments musical soul.

No picture from me - you will have to imagine a Model T Ford, or if you are wise enough … nae’, t’would be lost on you.

Image association, brother. :smiley:

Pakistani Set.

The faint of heart and elderly play flat sets

Does this mean only young makers can make concert sets and elderly ones flat sets :astonished:

John

The wisdom of age over the fleeting immortality of youth perhaps? :laughing:

[quote="JI would defintely encourage you to consider a ‘flat pitch’ set if you can swing the mullah[/quote]

Do you mean “moolah”? “Swing the Mullah” is an Iranian dance I believe, done in the mosque on which is probably the slightly-less-holiest night of the year. Popularized by Ali and the Ayatollahs in the 60’s.

Timmy :smiley:

I used to play concert D.

Since I switched to a flat set, every time I pick up a concert D chanter I see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONt47Z0KZg

Enough said.

Mukade.

I really like my concert half set by Michael Vignoles…but when Phil Sexton let me try his C chanter made by Seth Gallagher…WOW ! :astonished:

All I can say is it’s time to break the piggy bank (again)…I hope my son doesn’t notice this time ! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Slan,

P. S. The music sound files by Gallagher doesn’t do it justice…you must listen in person to really get a feel for them !

Thanks again Phil !

I think this goes without saying for any set of pipes, especially before purchasing. :slight_smile: Just me though…

No wonder Phil is so sold on his C set. Problem is he’s looking for a C session, in our area we’re lucky to have any session. He seemed to enjoy Paddy’s D set last Saturday! I thought we’d have to tie him to his chair!

BTW Greensboro isn’t too far from Bristol, lets get together sometime. We’re getting two new UP’ers in our area. One lad has Kirk Lynch cleaning up a set for him, and another friend of mine met Michael Vignoles at DollyWood and she ordered a half-set from him there. I’m loosing my monopoly. :laughing:

Tim