Pocketable Whistle Suggestions?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Pocketable Whistle Suggestions?

Post by Bretton »

Hi! I'm in need of a whistle that will fit into my pocket. Unfortunately, none of my high-D whistles, even with the heads removed from their bodies, will fit (some come close). The key of the whistle really doesn't matter much as I just want a whistle to take with me on occasions where I'm not taking a bag that could hold a larger whistle, and I won't be playing with other people/instruments.

Many years ago, I had a Clare Tin Whistle (https://www.tin-whistle.com), but I have no idea where it is now. That might work, but I'd prefer something a little higher end.

I'm thinking a Susato high-F or high-G might work, but wondered if anyone had additional suggestions?

For example:

Are there any makes of high-D whistles that separate into two equal parts?

Do you have recommendations for a particularly good high-F or high-G whistle?

Thanks!

-Brett
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Re: Pocketable Whistle Suggestions?

Post by Bretton »

Update: It looks like Susatos only go up to high-F (no high-G), and a high-F Susato ends up being almost $80 with shipping, which is a bit steep.

Anyone have a used Susato high-F they want to sell? :)
WhistlingGuitar
Tell us something.: Beginner player of high and low whistles for the past two years, complete beginner on the guitar, and looking to expand to the Uilleann pipes.

Post by WhistlingGuitar »

Have you seen MackBeth Whistles? They are higher end than a Clare (at least judging from the price), and some models telescope. I haven't played one myself, so I can't vouch for it personally, but it might be worth taking a look at. They are the successors to Mack Hoover's telescoping whistles, which I believe are well-respected.
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

David O'Brien's delrin Rover whistle breaks down into three parts, and will even fit into the pathetically small pockets of women's coats.

It's a quality whistle, so even secondhand it's not going to be especially cheap, but because it's good you might choose to play it even when you don't need something small. He gives his contact details 7 or 8 posts down in this thread from few months back:

viewtopic.php?t=114669
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

Further thought: if you have easy access to a source of Generation whistles, it might be worth trying their high F for the sake of the price of a coffee?

I have high G, F, and Eb, all bought untested from the children's toys section of a department store in the 1970s, all unmodified, and all good. The F is the sweetest of the bunch, but I've no complaints about the others. Ironically, it mostly seems to be their Ds that tend to be weak and inconsistent; I've got a sweet Feadog D, but all the Gens I tried fell somewhere on a scale between passable and really ropey.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Moof wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:48 pmThe F is the sweetest of the bunch...
I had the same experience. The tone was charming - a lame word, but I was, well, charmed. It was sweetly bird-like, you could say. I thought the high F and hornpipes made a particularly good if surprising fit.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
fintano
Tell us something.: Because I play flute and whistle.

With a toot on the flute and a twiddle on the fiddle
Hopping in the middle like a herrin on the griddle
Up, down, hands around and crossing to the wall
Sure hadn't we the gaiety at Phil the Fluter's ball

Post by fintano »

Somebody once gave me a whistle exactly as you describe. It was in two pieces that came apart, and could be carried easily in a pocket. One piece had a sort of bell-shaped end, so that the other piece would fit inside it. It was a D whistle. This must have been some 30 years ago now. It was probably purchased at The Irish Shop on Bloor Street W in Toronto. That closed in 2008. I still have a bunch of whistle books that came from there, usually as Xmas gifts. The Armagh Pipers Club, etc.

I was hoping to find it, so that I could tell you the maker. Unfortunately I was not able to do so. I'm fairly sure I still have it, so probably it's in a drawer somewhere, but we have an untold number of drawers. I think it was not the Clare Whistle. I remember the break being between the hands. Of course my memory could very well be faulty after so many years.

The thing is, I have felt no particular need for a whistle that can go in a pocket. And other than the convenience factor, I didn't feel this whistle had that much to recommend it. It was OK to play, as a whistle, no problems with it, but I had other whistles that I liked better.

I'm sorry to be so unhelpful. But at least you know that the thing you want did exist, at one time. So there must presumably be some of them around.

If I ever find the one I'm talking about, I'll put it up on this forum.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

fintano wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:23 am Somebody once gave me a whistle exactly as you describe. It was in two pieces that came apart, and could be carried easily in a pocket. One piece had a sort of bell-shaped end, so that the other piece would fit inside it. It was a D whistle. This must have been some 30 years ago now.
Exactly so, one section was flared at the end to make a socket, bought like yours around 30 years ago. Green top?

To me it was a sort of gimmick, but if the tubing is standard ID then it could play as well as any brass-tube whistle by sticking a Generation or Killarney or whatever top on it.

I think I still have it in a drawer somewhere, if I remember I'll look for it.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

pancelticpiper wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:13 am
Exactly so, one section was flared at the end to make a socket, bought like yours around 30 years ago. Green top?

To me it was a sort of gimmick, but if the tubing is standard ID then it could play as well as any brass-tube whistle by sticking a Generation or Killarney or whatever top on it.

I think I still have it in a drawer somewhere, if I remember I'll look for it.
Yes definitely gimmicky. Mine is from the mid eighties. I cannot recall what head was on it, but it was not very usable (probably was a Clare). The whistle functioned well with an orphaned Gen head on it but eventually the connection between the two parts became wobbly so I retired the tube.

My brain hurts

Bretton

Post by Bretton »

Thanks for all the replies!

I sent David O'Brien an email and may order a Generation F to try.

-Brett
SimpleWhistler
Tell us something.: Love music, especially ITM. Beginner musician. Play tin whistle. "Own" a low whistle, flute, and fiddle. Hoping to learn all of them. My dream come true would be to learn uilleann pipes!

Post by SimpleWhistler »

I have a Tony Dixon DX005 D whistle. It separates about 1/3 of the way down and the body by itself is roughly 7 1/4 inches in length. The section with the head is roughly 5 1/2 inches long.

https://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/produc ... ey-of-d-3/
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

I have a Dixon DX004 in my pocket much of the time, the all-polymer 2 piece one. The head comes off and the body tub just about fits in a standard men’s front pant pocket. The only issue is that the bottom of the head part, being somewhat thin plastic, tends to chip. Since it’s hidden in the tuning slide portion of the whistle, this is not noticeable cosmetically or sonically when I’m actually playing.

It’s a decent enough whistle, sweet on top but with fairly weak low notes; you have to really back off the low D and E or they will push sharp, so they’re fairly quiet. Relatively cheap, and pretty durable considering it’s all ABS plastic.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Alright I found the thing!

Still with the original top, and sticker which says "The Clare" with a shamrock. The rest rubbed off.

Notice the inchoate top, not enough plastic in the mould.

I played it just now and it's not all that bad. (Judging by the teeth-marks I must have played it some back in the 80s.)

My Freeman Tweaked Generation D top and Killarney D to both fit on the body and turn it into a decent whistle. I think I'll actually leave the Gen head on it so I'll have a very compact whistle to take places.

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

I made myself a collapsible/telescoping whistle, for no real reason other than to see if such a thing could work. And it did.

It comes apart into 4 pieces - a plastic head probably from a Soodlums or similar, 96mm of 14.4mm OD brass (which nicely fits the head), 80mm of the next size tubing down (LH holes), 100mm of the next size down again (RH holes), and then a short length of the middle sized tubing to enable me to tune the bottom note.

All pretty rough, but it works fine and the longest bit is around 100mm, so goes easily into a pocket. You can telescope it so save even more space, but getting it un-telescoped requires having something you can poke down it to dislodge the inner sections enough until you can get a good grip on the end of the inner one.

I think you'd need to put score marks around each joint to help you get it assembled correctly without a lot of messing about. I haven't done that as I haven't really had the time to put into optimising the tuning of every note.

In theory, it's a mildly tapered whistle with a cylindrical upper section and a slight flare at foot. I feel it does sound a little differently to a straight cylindrical whistle, but I haven't put any work into proving that!

Happy to divulge more details if anyone wanted to try making one!
cmgs
Tell us something.: I’ve been reading these forums periodically now for a number of years and feel like it’s high time I sign up so I can post or respond. I’ve been playing trad music for a number of years.

Post by cmgs »

It seems like Le Meur just posted about making something for this on Facebook. I’ve never played one of his.

FWIW Mike Burke’s and Chris Abell’s whistles break down into 3 pieces, but they’re pretty high end to be toting about in your pocket. Though I often can be found with a Burke D in my purse. 😊