Hawkes and Son flute [fife?]

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Re: Hawkes and Son flute [fife?]

Post by NicoMoreno »

I haven't followed the marching band flute community much I guess! I had no idea F flutes would go that high!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

NicoMoreno wrote:I haven't followed the marching band flute community much I guess! I had no idea F flutes would go that high!
Nico, I've sold and seen sold nice examples of Low Pitch (in this context, a=440) F band flutes for £300 plus. That's not so unusual - like F whistles, they're quite popular in the ITM community for their tone qualities if they'll play at Concert Pitch. But the general run of anonymous and even name-stamped High Pitch ones have very little value, even in the marching band world. Other (non Crown AZ) models of Hawkes, Booseys, Rudall Cartes, Potters, maybe a few other names will fetch reasonable (higher) prices for HP examples for band use/collectors, but not what Crown AZs command. The same sort of spread goes for Bb band flutes - there are loads of run-of-the-mill HP ones that crop up regularly on eBay and in junk shops etc. which are virtually worthless - probably go for £20-40 at best, though of course you'll see examples put on eBay at silly starting prices which they won't achieve by optimistic/deluded folk who haven't done their homework.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
david quinn
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and NORTHERN IRELAND

Post by david quinn »

The F Flutes aren't worth as much as the b flats as their isn't as big a demand as not all bands play parts and just play first flute ie b flat. Your example is an early model as the later models had an ebonite tuning barrel as they were most affected by climate this can be seen on the Hawkes and Son advert on the back of the music books.

The price has come down on the Crown flutes as you can buy a brand new Peter Worell replica for 380 GBP at one time when they were more scarce some people were paying upwards of 500 pounds but this has come down to reasonable level they are really only worth £70 80 but at the end of the day and someone is desperate they will pay what they have to acquire it!

David
'Better to die on your feet than on your knees in a united Ireland'
david quinn

Post by david quinn »

Here is one that my friend bought on Ebay for £70 minus a headjoint, luckily he had a spare head and key in his flute graveyard.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Out of interest/for comparison's sake, here is a current eBay listing for a Potter F flute - a late one with French style keywork just like the Crown AZs (but no tuning slide) and I'm guessing it is HP - 2 bids already and heading for the £200 region.....
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 0572126299

???!!! For some reason my searches missed this listing!

Ended early, an offer accepted? I wonder what sum.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
david quinn

Post by david quinn »

jemtheflute wrote:Out of interest/for comparison's sake, here is a current eBay listing for a Potter F flute - a late one with French style keywork just like the Crown AZs (but no tuning slide) and I'm guessing it is HP - 2 bids already and heading for the £200 region.....
I wouldn't be surprised if the Potter gets relisted like most flutes this seller auctions, they always seem to get pushed up to mad prices then get relisted due to time wasters or the winner decided he didn't want it :-?

We shall see.

On the Hawkes and son as i said if he can get silly money good luck to him, as i said i cant ever remember F Flutes fetching this price i have 2 Rudall Carte F Flutes and paid 70/80 quid for them i was bidding on another and i wasnt going to pay anymore than £100 think some taxi driver got it for 102 quid :)
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

david quinn wrote:i was bidding on another (Rudall Carte F) and i wasnt going to pay anymore than £100 think some taxi driver got it for 102 quid :)
:D :wink: This one?.

Turned out well worth it - needed a bit of work but plays very nicely at 440. :poke:

Seriously, though, I'd expect a Crown AZ to go for rather more than a RC or Potter, even in a deflated market. Not because they're necessarily better, mind. But David, you guys don't want what you'd call Low Pitch (440) flutes, do you?

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
david quinn

Post by david quinn »

jemtheflute wrote:
david quinn wrote:i was bidding on another (Rudall Carte F) and i wasnt going to pay anymore than £100 think some taxi driver got it for 102 quid :)
:D :wink: This one?.

Turned out well worth it - needed a bit of work but plays very nicely at 440. :poke:

Seriously, though, I'd expect a Crown AZ to go for rather more than a RC or Potter, even in a deflated market. Not because they're necessarily better, mind. But David, you guys don't want what you'd call Low Pitch (440) flutes, do you?
I'll take any flute Jem they don't call me the flutophile for nothing, my Boehm system flutes are all lp or 440Hz. Yes you would expect Crowns to sell for more as their is an entire community interested as they dont get made and bands that use them buy them when they can to save them investing in another set of flutes. Makes sense pay over the odds for a flute or spend thousands getting a new set.!

None of these old flutes are worth what they sell for, i have seen me going to old mens houses that were in bands and they have them lying in drawers and up attics.

Yes it is a nice flute you got, i dont really go for simple system flutes with the footjoint, don't really know why.

David
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Off topic, really, I know, but I've just done this clip on my recently restored Rudall Carte & Co. 8-key F band flute #4724, mentioned above.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
david quinn

Post by david quinn »

Excellent playing well done :wink:
Brian Crossett
Tell us something.: I am interested in purchasing a Hawkes and Son Crown A-Z 6 keyed flute in good condition. I can arrange cleaning and repadding. I wish to join a marching band that uses this flute so need to purchase one to fulfill my wish.

Post by Brian Crossett »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Unfortunately David Quincy is no longer with us he was killed in the Iraq war. I am the person currently interested in Hawkes and son Bb flutes either fully covered or open hole.
Brian Crossett
Tell us something.: I am interested in purchasing a Hawkes and Son Crown A-Z 6 keyed flute in good condition. I can arrange cleaning and repadding. I wish to join a marching band that uses this flute so need to purchase one to fulfill my wish.

Post by Brian Crossett »

I will offer a minimum of £200.00 for a Bb Hawkes and Son Crown A-Z Flute open hole 6 key, and from £300.00 plus depending on condition for a fully covered one.
stonesy
Tell us something.: i fix and tune flutes so i am interested in offering advice when i see someone in a fix been playing the flute for over forty years

Post by stonesy »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

reading the replies i sure hope you did not sell this flute for $50-100, what you need to know is Hawkes & son Crown AZ are the rolls royce in flutes it is the best flute made, most other flute makers like Miller Wicks from Kilkeel or a new maker Fergus Flutes all base their flutes on the hawkes and sons, thats the quality of the flute covered.
now 2 things that are vital is the condition of the timber are there any cracks or fractures in the wood? this makes a flute only fit for parts and would then be worth £50-100 another big issue is every section is stamped with a serial number, if all serial numbers correspond it is all original and then a b♭ flute in good condition you could expect to pay £250-300 for one and an F♭ anything from £450-600 48 cm to me is a B♭ so all the people saying the flute waa worthless either do not have a clue what they are talking about or trying to scam you
i bought a F♭ last year on ebay and it started off at £575 it was lowered a couple of times i ended up paying £450 for it