Which flute keys are the best keys?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fintano
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Because I play flute and whistle.

With a toot on the flute and a twiddle on the fiddle
Hopping in the middle like a herrin on the griddle
Up, down, hands around and crossing to the wall
Sure hadn't we the gaiety at Phil the Fluter's ball

Re: Which flute keys are the best keys?

Post by fintano »

If you're really trying to minimize the number of keys, my opinion is to skip Bb. On the flutes I have, cross-fingering Bb works pretty well.

I would say F, D# and G# are the most useful. Not specifically for Irish music, but just in general.

Long F is good specifically when you have to go FDF. Otherwise short F is okay.

So if you are in the situation when you are counting up the simoleons to see if you can afford your dream flute, the former are my recommendations.

If you have the scratch to get the 6-key version, go for it. It will be easier to sell when your grandchildren are trying to empty out your home.

Low C and C# can be cool. But flutemakers say those are the keys that require the most maintenance. The reason why 6-key flutes are so common.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Which flute keys are the best keys?

Post by pancelticpiper »

Loren wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:27 am Resale value. A 6 key flute will be easier to sell in many cases than one with 4 or less keys, since those who only “need” 3-4 keys will often be willing to buy a used 6 key flute, but someone who wants or needs a 6 key flute is unlikely to purchase a flute with 4 keys or less.
That makes total sense, though it never would have occurred to me.

I don't think once in my life I've bought an instrument, or a car for that matter, with resale in my mind.
Loren wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:27 am I do think far more people like to play other genres of music with their simple system flutes than the hardcore ITM crowd talks about.
For sure my own fluteplaying was all done on mid-19th century London-made 8-key orchestral flutes and I played for years in a dance band that did Bulgarian, Macedonian, and Israeli folk dance music. Yes I used every one of the 8 keys.

But if I was starting over today, unless I came across a more-affordable used 6-key, and I had to buy a new bespoke flute, I'd order a 3-key simply for cost.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle