CP: May, Mahan Woodwinds

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

CP: May, Mahan Woodwinds

Post by Wanderer »

So, I've taken the plunge and set up a maker's website at
https://mahanwoodwinds.squarespace.com

All of April, I was selling whistles at the local Renaissance festival, and was able to get my process down to where it was very repeatable and consistent, so I finally felt comfortable opening up a site. In March, while I was able to produce whistles, I had a fair amount of loss in the mouthpiece department because I couldn't consistently produce them, and so I had to bin the ones that didn't turn out. But I have been continuing to test small tweaks to the geometry and print settings, and I have settled on a process that allows me to make a consistent mouthpiece with the same hand-finishing steps for each piece that comes off of the printer.

I'm adding various types of whistles to the site as I get them completed. I'm currently working on a few in various wood-infused PLA colors. Soon, I will have "ebony" colored whistles on the site

as well as a "wood grain" look.

The wood-infused PLA feels more like wood and even smells like wood (though the wood smell does seem to fade over time), whereas the straight PLA whistles do have that plastic feel to them. But, because the material costs quite a bit more, I can't offer them at the same price as the standard PLA whistles.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: CP: May, Mahan Woodwinds

Post by Jayhawk »

Well done! Is the wood grain version the second picture in your post? I was curious what the difference between walnut and wood grain was.

Also, does the PLA infused with wood sound any different or does it sound just he same as the pure PLA?

Eric
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Re: CP: May, Mahan Woodwinds

Post by Wanderer »

Jayhawk wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:19 pm Well done! Is the wood grain version the second picture in your post? I was curious what the difference between walnut and wood grain was.

Also, does the PLA infused with wood sound any different or does it sound just he same as the pure PLA?

Eric
Thanks! The wood grain is the 2nd pic. Walnut just looks like a solid dark brown.

I think the wood infused whistles sound just a bit less pure, with a bit more complexity in the tone. But I can't say if that's a difference in the materials, since the important mouthpiece bits are pure PLA as well. I haven't made any pure PLA whistles with the newest refinements to the process yet.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║