question: nutmeg

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

question: nutmeg

Post by chas »

I cook a lot of Indian food, so use a lot of spices. I grind most of them -- cardamom, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cloves . . . I have a coffee grinder with three cups, one of which I use to grind spices. It works great. A few years ago someone gave me a bottle of whole nutmegs. I don't bake much, so don't use a lot of nutmeg, but I made several care packages for friends/relatives this week who have had surgery recently, so made a bunch of quickbreads and cookies. I ran out of nutmeg, so grated about half a meg by hand, which yielded maybe two tablespoons. 15 minutes with arthritic hands to yield half as much as I get from 30 seconds pushing a button grinding cardamom seeds.

Any suggestions? I can't face putting a whole meg into my poor coffee grinder, and I doubt if I hit one hard enough with a kitchen mallet that I'd ever find it without sweeping the floor. Maybe chop it a few times with a cleaver in a space that will catch all the shards?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: question: nutmeg

Post by Nanohedron »

First thing that came to mind was a rotary grater. I don't know if any, all or none of them are built to take on nutmegs, but here's an OXO (always a good choice especially for ergonomics):

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/grater ... Ar1NpxwJ4o

Not too spendy, either.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
trill

Post by trill »

chas wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:08 pm . . . I can't face putting a whole meg into my poor coffee grinder . . .
Perhaps a mortar & pestle to start. A few smashes to crack+bust. The deep walls might confine the flying bits. Maybe the coffee grinder after that.

Is your grinder a spinning-blade or burr type ?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Thus is what I have always known as the standard nutmeg grater:

The nut is kept in the compartment at the top, you grate the amount you want when needed. But, in fairness, you probably wouldn't do large(r) amounts on them.

These could be good alternatives : Best Nutmeg grinders
My brain hurts

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I believe I've seen the Peugeot grater (from Mr. Gumby's link) w/nutmeg on a restaurant table. I suspect it works.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Microplane graters are still manual, but much faster than the old-style graters Mr. Gumby illustrates.

chas

Post by chas »

Thanks for the ideas, folks. I'll give some of 'em a try.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Dubpuff
Tell us something.: As a longtime flute player, I’m interested in conversations. I’m currently lurking but may want to purchase, also I play an old Ruddall Carte and I’m interested in that topic also ynsagi

Post by Dubpuff »

chas wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:08 pm I cook a lot of Indian food, so use a lot of spices. I grind most of them -- cardamom, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cloves . . . I have a coffee grinder with three cups, one of which I use to grind spices. It works great. A few years ago someone gave me a bottle of whole nutmegs. I don't bake much, so don't use a lot of nutmeg, but I made several care packages for friends/relatives this week who have had surgery recently, so made a bunch of quickbreads and cookies. I ran out of nutmeg, so grated about half a meg by hand, which yielded maybe two tablespoons. 15 minutes with arthritic hands to yield half as much as I get from 30 seconds pushing a button grinding cardamom seeds.

Any suggestions? I can't face putting a whole meg into my poor coffee grinder, and I doubt if I hit one hard enough with a kitchen mallet that I'd ever find it without sweeping the floor. Maybe chop it a few times with a cleaver in a space that will catch all the shards?
I love nutmeg too. About a year ago, I bought a container containing about a cupful in a Middle East store. I didn’t know what to do with it but thought I’d put it in something.
I put it in some beans that I was eating for several days for my dinner. I forget all the symptoms but one I remember is my mouth was very dry but I know I felt weird. Didn’t suspect nutmeg . There were a few other symptoms. Not sure if I finished the beans over probably four days but at some stage tried to think of anything different I had eaten. I just did a search and, it’s not good over a certain amount. I was surprised. So don’t put too much in and let people know
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Nutmeg is a known psychotropic, but it has a fairly high toxicity. It can lead to organ failure and death in larger doses.
Malcolm X mentions it as a substitute for marijuana in prisons, but does not mention its toxicity. Like Belladona, it can be hallucinogenic, but also highly toxic. It can easily give a 'bad' trip as opposed to benign high.
The Turks use it sparingly in their coffee, but in much smaller portions than, say, cardamom. (Now I know why Turkish Coffee gave me such a jolt when I was younger and overindulged!).

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Dubpuff
Tell us something.: As a longtime flute player, I’m interested in conversations. I’m currently lurking but may want to purchase, also I play an old Ruddall Carte and I’m interested in that topic also ynsagi

Post by Dubpuff »

an seanduine wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:00 pm Nutmeg is a known psychotropic, but it has a fairly high toxicity. It can lead to organ failure and death in larger doses.
Malcolm X mentions it as a substitute for marijuana in prisons, but does not mention its toxicity. Like Belladona, it can be hallucinogenic, but also highly toxic. It can easily give a 'bad' trip as opposed to benign high.
The Turks use it sparingly in their coffee, but in much smaller portions than, say, cardamom. (Now I know why Turkish Coffee gave me such a jolt when I was younger and overindulged!).

Bob
On a related note, I remember hearing a guy who had been in Rikers Island,and he was talking about life inside. Apparently an appalling place. He said they were punished for various reasons. One of them was eating an apple, seeds and all. Seems there is a small amount of arsenic I think in the seeds and I guess they thought people were trying to do themselves in
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Dubpuff wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:47 amHe said they were punished for various reasons. One of them was eating an apple, seeds and all. Seems there is a small amount of arsenic I think in the seeds and I guess they thought people were trying to do themselves in
Cynanide, actually. That's why there's a hint of almond flavour to the seeds.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Dubpuff wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:47 amSeems there is a small amount of arsenic I think in the seeds and I guess they thought people were trying to do themselves in
If you'll forgive the pedantry, it's cyanide, not arsenic. Not only apples but drupes (stone fruits like cherries, plums, apricots, peaches, almonds, etc.) also have varying amounts of it in their seeds. It accounts for the tasty almond-like flavor of apple seeds. It's said that a cupful of apple seeds can kill an adult human. The seeds of one apple? Probably never.

Oops! Crosposted with Tunborough.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician