Tube diameter affect on playing.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
learn2turn
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Tube diameter affect on playing.

Post by learn2turn »

I gave the wife an Xmas list and put a Killarney Brass High D and and MK Pro Low D on it. I figured she'd pick one. She ended up buying both. Lucky guy.

So my go-to high D has been a Dixon Trad which I believe a Aluminum. It's noticeably better then the $10-12 whistles are started with. I'm playing the Killarney now and it is definitely a substantial step up from the Dixon. Sure it sounds better and responds better. But one thing I didn't expect is my fingers feel more nimble on it. I do observe that it is narrower than the Dixon. I've heard opinions on tube size related to tone, volume, back pressure, things having to do with the air moving through the tube. I wonder if anyone else notice an effect on fingering related to diameter?

-l2t
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: Tube diameter affect on playing.

Post by Narzog »

Shes a keeper. What color is the MK Pro? If she has excellent taste she would have chosen Silver haha. Welcome to the MK pro D club.

I feel like my MK is easier to play than my bigger tube Reyburn, but its also softer blowing which could be part of it. My hands are huge but the smaller MK tube just feels right. I also jsut play the MK more. So my data may be inaccurate haha.

How does the hole size and spacing compare on the killarney? If it feels like its they are in more natural positions, it could make it feel easier. The whistle having more weight could also make it feel more stable. Maybe at least.
learn2turn
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Post by learn2turn »

Narzog wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:35 pm Shes a keeper. What color is the MK Pro? If she has excellent taste she would have chosen Silver haha. Welcome to the MK pro D club.
My favorite color is burgandy red, what I put on my list, and what she bought.

-l2t
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

learn2turn wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:49 am My favorite color is burgandy red, what I put on my list, and what she bought.

-l2t
Very nice, thats cool as well. One of the many cool things about MK's, having color options.
Unai
Tell us something.: Hi, I'm Unai, I play irish flute and traditional basque instruments (txistu & alboka). I follow this site for years and I'd like to have an acount now, so I can participate in discussions. Thanks!

Post by Unai »

Hi, I've been trough exactly the same way that you have described in your post, and I too had some difficulties to adapt to the diameter of the killarney, especially for half-cover holes. I found it slippery too at the begining, but finally get used to the whistle, I think you will get used to it too. It does worth it in my opinion
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I haven't noticed it with high whistles, but for me tube diameter has a big impact on playing low whistles.

For Low D's, the Burke has a fatter tube than most makers use, bigger on the inside and bigger on the outside.

The wider bore results in a number of things I don't like: a stiff 2nd octave, a loud 2nd octave, a shouty High B, and greater air consumption.

The fatter tube makes the Burke less comfortable for me to finger.

It's why, for me, the Dixon plastic conical-bore Low D is the most comfortable Low D to play, due to it being the narrowest Low D I've tried.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

pancelticpiper wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:45 am I haven't noticed it with high whistles, but for me tube diameter has a big impact on playing low whistles.
All you say in your post pretty much holds true when you compare Generation type whistles and the Walton wide bore Ds (and their 'tweaked' equivalents).
My brain hurts